Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pick Your Battles

Too often times you find yourself fighting, whether that be against your freinds, family, your significant other whoever. These fights cause a lot of stress in our lives, and I know that many times they really aren't worth it. I've seen break ups happen over the silliest things, I've seen families destroyed over it. Fights can ruin days, weeks and lives.

When you approach one of these situations you always have the oppertunity to make a choice, I can't sit here and tell you that you can always avoid it, but it is the reactions that you have during the beginning of the fight that depends on the level of drama that is created by it.

Now I hate drama, but it isn't that I haven't had my fair share of it. I don't know how many times I heard my ex-wife say "whatever" and that was always a key word that seemed to turn it on like donkey kong. It was a cop out word, to my ears it almost sounded like "bite me, your not worth comprimising with." That was my issue. The thing that has taken me so long to understand was that at times she was picking not to fight the battle with me. It isn't unlike me saying "Fine".

In fact the word "fine" created a nasty fight between me and my girlfriend this last friday. The fight wasn't worth it, strangely enough about halfway through she asked me why I was fighting her because by tomorrow it wouldn't really matter to me anyway and what was the purpose of hurting her in the process. She was right, I need to think out a little better what my battles that are worth fighting for.

When you love someone sometimes you want them to follow your "advice" sometimes you watch them do things that make you cringe because they aren't doing it the way that may be best, at least in your mind. The reality is we are all people and we have all had diffent experinces in life that creates us as who we are. When we love someone we need to take the time to walk in their shoes. We need to realize what is really worth it, and there is very little in this world that is worth escalating a conversation to a full blown screaming match.

I know that it seems hard to image but when you are living a great life then you won't spend nearly as long fighting with anyone. The fight will be minimized to what is really worth it. You cannot allow someone else to rule your emotions. There will be fights and disagreements in every relationship, but some of them just aren't worth fighting. Everyone comes with baggage, it is a fact, all of us are tainted in some way. We have to choose how we take the pressure of life, we have to agree or disagree, but we don't have to take it to the level of a relationship ending arguement over something that "really won't matter later". I try to use this as a measuring stick when I decide to fight, is it worth running this person out of my life over?

I know that our pride and our tempers have the ability to get in the way of rational thinking, when that happens you better know how to apologize if the answer to the above question was no.

No comments:

Post a Comment