Monday, February 20, 2012

The best things in life

I know that I sound like someone who likes instant gratification. I've mentioned going after what you want and making things happen, but the reality is not everything that makes a great life is something that just happens over night.

I remember when I was a kid saving my money from my birthday and mowing yards and tossing papers to buy a Nintendo Entertainment System. It was the first time I really waited and saved for anything. The funny part of it was that I hid the money from myself so I wouldn't spend it. I ended up losing over one hundred dollars for quite a while, in fact it was a couple of months until the year ended and I pulled my calender down and the money that I had lost fell out.

I went and bought my NES and I felt really good about the fact that I had bought it, it quickly became my most prized possesion and I spent a lot of time playing it, making sure that I beat every game that I could lay my hands on. I tell you that to make this point, some things in life are worth waiting for.

Love is one of those things. You cannot just jump in to the relationships that you would truly want by jumping in to them. You have to take your time finding that right person, someone who will enhance your life, not that you have to live for, someone you want to do anything for. Real love is something that cannot be faked, and it is something that is very true.

When you work hard to accomplish something if feels good to finally get it. The relationship that you wait for, will be something that you will cherish and enjoy when you finally have it. Sometimes it is worth the wait.

Now there is a point that needs to be said, it is one thing to wait on someone, and another to put your life on hold for someone. Live life while waiting on those things that are worth waiting, never stop moving forward. This is the thing I m really trying to point out that when you don't live your life you can't enjoy the gift you are given. If you don't live your life then you are doomed to ruin the things that you are waiting for. Things can be great, but you will be let down if you have all of your eggs in one basket.

I am not a patient person, but I do know the value in holding on to someone who is really worth it. Just make sure that it is worth it, don't wait for something that you like, wait for something that you love. Never try to change a person, the only thing that you can change is yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I like the sentiment of this post.. but I would love to see you comment on the opposite perspective - the person who loves YOU but you do not give yourself to. I am not saying you've had a situation like that, but man, I have, and it's a bad place to be, knowing someone would drop everything, and IS waiting, and you just... let them fall by the wayside for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete