Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why men arn't men

My instructor at Premier Martial Arts said that a fighter who wasn't afraid isn't a good fighter. The matter of the fact is I've been talking about doing what you would do if you weren't afraid that doesn't mean don't be afraid. That is the first thing that hinders a man from being a man. So often times we as men are expected to not have emotions. This is a tremendous fallacy in our thinking.

Part of being a man is actually being able to have emotion. The difference is what we do with them. We have a choice as we go through life to decide what we do about our emotions. It isn't a feminine trait to love. In my life my friend and family are the most important people to me. They are the one that have helped me through my dilemmas in life.

Love is the thing that inspires passion, and passion is what truly drives a revolution. Men who aren't afraid to be passionate are the one who are leaders. Think of the men who we see as real men. The thing about passion is that it brings out the primeval traits in us as men. Men are willing to fight for women, they are willing to fight for those who can't do it for themselves, and they are willing to fight for what they believe.

Braveheart is a good portrayal of a man, William Wallace, who started a revolution based on his love of his wife and then his belief that all men should be free. When he was making the decision to be a farmer before his wife was killed did that make him any less of a man? No it showed him standing up for what he believed in. When I think back to the men who went to war, especially in World War on and Two I think of men who were willing to give everything to something that they believed. This doesn't mean that we have to fight to be men.

When we choose to just go with the flow as opposed to standing on our own personal beliefs we actually effeminate ourselves. The value of a real man is standing by those we love in times of crisis, and allowing ourselves to truly believe in our own abilities. When I lost my passion and my drive I found myself looking in the mirror and not actually recognizing myself. I hated my life and I knew that I had to do something to change it.

I needed to reevaluate the things that drive me. I found that I had lost passion, inspiration, or whatever because I has buried the negative feelings so much that I couldn't allow myself to keep anything positive from doing much more than just bouncing off the surface. The first thing that I did was I decided that I was going to move forward in life and I would shed off anything that wasn't going to help me get to the life that I wanted (more about that later). I knew that I had to allow my emotions to work for me and I had to get rid of the negative.

I have actually had people that I've cared about tell me to be thicker skinned and go with the flow, but that isn't being a man. Being a man means that you have a self identity, you react upon your emotions in the best way you can and you always move forward trying to get to the life that you want. I can tell you that every persons goals are different and there is value in every ones goals. The sad thing is that I know a lot of women who are more manly than some men that I know.

See what you want and go after it. The hardest things in life to get are the things that we value the most. The thing that a real man does is that he doesn't give up on anything that he is passionate about. A real man has passion for his children, for his family and for his friends. My friends are people that I will do anything in my power to get them through a situation, whether I agree with them going through it or not. I will give them my opinion. If I am not willing to offer you advice I probably don't care, or I've already offered it and I feel as though I am wasting my breath.

A real man should want to be free. Starting a fight that has no purpose is useless and it isn't being a man. Pick your battles, save your fight for what you actually are passionate about, not just a whim. I remember back in high school when there would be fights break out over some girl. The funny thing is that neither of those guys ended up with the girl. People will hurt us and that is why it isn't worth fighting those fights. On the other hand, just lay a hand on one of my children and see what happens. Great men can recognize this.

The things that make a real man are the passion in their heart and the willingness to fight for what they believe in. As quoted in the Gambler 'You gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold them'. Let your emotions drive you not to do the things that are negative, but the things that will make you great and that is how you become a real man.

There is passion inside of every man the question is what is it and what do you do with it. And there is a very real fact that is underlying in this, every man wants to leave their mark in this world, you can only do this by being passionate and then doing something with this passion. That is the first step in becoming a real man.

No comments:

Post a Comment